About Me

My photo
e. l . wood is a native of birmingham, alabama. he grew up on the urban streets of dallas, texas before attending college at houston baptist university where he earned a b. a. in english and psychology. after a year of teaching high school english in the public schools of houston, e. l. wood attended sam houston state university where he earned a master’s degree in english. after bouncing around the deep south for several years, he finished his ph. d. in american literature before 1900 at the university of southern mississippi. e. l. wood has been teaching in some capacity since 1992 and has taught for a local community college since 1995. in his spare time, e.l. wood enjoys reading, movies, and the outdoors. he is personally acquainted with several search and rescue teams around the southeast. he is married to the lovely and gracious a. c. they have a daughter (special k), and one dog. They reside in h'burg, deep south. in addition to being the sole proprietor of the gandy dancer billiard parlor, e. l. wood dabbles in folk art and the occasional cultivation of a handlebar mustache.

Monday, February 08, 2010

fruit of the (parcells) vine . . .





wow. what a football year. i must say, that as a dallas cowboy fan, i was disappointed they were not in the super bowl. but, as an nfc fan and a transplant to south mississippi, i could not have been more excited for the saints and the city of new orleans.

however, my greatest delight of the evening stemmed from the fact that i am a monster fan of bill parcells. as a teacher and motivator, parcells, in my book, is about as good as it gets. i was elated when dallas hired him and sad when he left.

just imagining the big tuna watching the game, masterfully coached by his protégé, sean payton. i can just almost see parcells' smile spreading across his face as the second half progressed. peyton did his mentor proud. i bet parcells was thinking to himself something along the lines of, “that’s my boy.”

as i thought about peyton and parcells and the link between the two, i kept hearing the words of Christ rattle around my brain. in john 5 he says, "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. 6If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. 7If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. 8This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.”

would that i might do The Mentor proud.

1 comment:

Cole said...

Just want you to know I'm still a'readin', E-man. Keep up the good work.

Oh, here's one for ya:
http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110006608